July 31, 2012
Scrumban = Scrum + Kanban
Scrumban is a software production model based on Scrum and Kanban.
Scrumban is especially suited for maintenance projects or production support projects with frequent and unexpected user stories (requirement /defect) or programming errors. In such cases the time-limited sprints of the Scrum model are of no appreciable use, but Scrum’s daily meetings and other practices can be applied, depending on the team and the situation at hand.
Using these methods, the team’s workflow is directed in a way that allows for minimum completion time for each user story or programming error, and on the other hand ensures each team member is constantly employed.
July 3, 2012
To become a good Scrum Master is not only having the knowledge of scrum or get certified. Its more than that. Some points are written here.
Knowledgeable: Scrum Master should have good knowledge of Scrum. Knows exactly what Scrum is and what is not. He should be aware of company and team dynamics. He should have enough technical and business knowledge to know what the rest is talking about
Responsible: He should know what a Scrum Master does and whats not. He should be responsible for scrum as well as for the team, product owner and organization.
Good teamplayer: Scrum Master should be well connected with great communication skills. He needs to make sure that team members feel free to raise issues for open discussion and feel supported in doing so. The ScrumMaster should help create a collaborative atmosphere for the team through his words and actions
Facilitator: Scrum Master should facilitate the team to remove thier impediments. He should not be of the hierarchical persuasion like I am boss, you listen. ScrumMaster is willing to do whatever is necessary to help the team achieve its goal.
Good Observer: Scrum Master should be a good observer only then he can understand the team members mind set even if team hesitate to apeak. A good sign of team maturing in scrum process is that they tend to jump on work together and often one story at a time. This is an observable point of view that the Scrum Master can use to detect when his team is starting to work well together and if they are not then motivate them to do so.
Good Listener: Listen team carefully what they are saying and how and then respond positively. If Scrum Master is a good listener only them team hesitation to speak will remove.
Creater of Self Organizing team: A good ScrumMaster does not make decisions for the team but lets the team make their decisions about the process. The ScrumMaster will train and guide the team but will not make decisions for the team.
July 1, 2012
Evaluating Scrum Masters is one of the toughest challenges in my opinion, because if she does the job well nobody will really realize it, but when things go wrong, she will be first one held responsible. I have some points please add on these…
Get specific feedback from team members:
1) Have quick (15-30 min.) one on one discussions with each team member on a regular basis.It isn’t anything formal, but it tends to lead to some good discussion on how SM can do a better job for the team.
2) Have retrospective for SM also. Use a satisfaction/performance survey that each attendee fills out (anonymously). Survey can have some predefined questions like : how many times scrum master was able to remove impediments etc.
3) Anonymously can provide their feedback on sticky notes and post them all on the white board or wall and then discuss but dont point anyone specific during discussion. so that negative points can also come forward for improvement.
Product Owner’s feedback :
1) Ask product owner to tell how product is progressing in achieving the vision.
2) Is Scrum Master performing well to apply scrum.
Feedback from peer Scrum Masters and higher management :
1) Scrum Master is not only responsible for one team. Its his duty to help the organisation as well by helping and guiding the other teams and scrum masters.
getting feedback feedback from other scrum masters is also important.
2)Higher management feedback including sales team , delivery team, to whomsoever scrum master is communicating take feedback from them also.